|Title||[Public School 16]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on gray cardboard mount. Front view of a three-story brick school building with a clock tower in the center of the roof. Inscription on the building above the entrance: "PUBLIC SCHOOL / 16." Handwritten inscription on the mount below the photo: "Public School / New Brighton - Staten Island." Handwritten inscription on reverse: "PS 16 / Tompkinsville."
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||3.125 x 2.250|
|Ownership and History||
Public School 16, built ca. 1895, was located in a neighborhood that was then considered to be New Brighton but is now considered to be part of Tompkinsville. The school was demolished in 1970.
The building was designed by Staten Island resident Edward Alfred Sargent (1842-1914), a prolific and well-respected architect. He designed hundreds of Staten Island residences, many of which survive in the St. George historic district. Sargent also designed numerous public and commercial buildings, including four public schools, a Masonic lodge (still standing at 514 Bay Street), and the B&O Railroad flats, which were located at Bay Street and Victory Boulevard.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Sargent, Edward Alfred
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, June 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|