Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Clarendon Stables and Clarence N. Johnson Real Estate & Insurance]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Studio or Publisher Long & Heppner
Date 1883
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount with printed border. View of three buildings; in front of the buildings are four horse-drawn carriages and several other horses that are not hitched to vehicles. Eight men and two boys are standing and seated among the horses and carriages. The large building at left has a sign mounted above the cornice: "CLARENDON STABLES." The small building at center has a sign mounted above the cornice: "CLARENCE N. JOHNSON. / REAL ESTATE & INSURANCE." The building at right may be a private residence. Printed inscription on the mount beneath the photo: "LONG & HEPPNER. Photos. / 327 East 34th Street, N. Y." Handwritten inscription on the mount beneath the photo: "24, 26 & 28 Shore Road in 1883. NOW 1949, 1951, 1953 RICHMOND TERRACE. / H.J. SHARRETT STARTED IN REAL ESTATE BUSINESS PORT RICHMOND, N.Y. / JULY 2, 1887". (Keywords: New York).
Print size 6 x 8.125
Acquisition From Horatio J. Sharrett
Ownership and History The Clarendon Livery & Boarding Stables were located at 38 Richmond Terrace in Port Richmond, Staten Island. Their newspaper advertisements in the early 1900s stated that they provided "Carriages of Every Kind at all Hours."

The building in the center was the office of real estate and insurance agent Clarence M. Johnson. Mr. Johnson, a resident of West New Brighton, served for many years as the clerk for the Board of Supervisors.

Earliest Date 1883
Latest Date 1883
Subjects Carriages & coaches
Horses
Real estate business
Stables
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Sharrett, Horatio Judah
Johnson, Clarence M.
Catalog Number 36.015.0004
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.