Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title The Smith Infirmary
Object Name Negative, Glass-plate
Photographer Austen, E. Alice
Date June 5, 1890
Collection Alice Austen Photograph Collection
Description Original glass plate negative. View of the S.R. Smith Infirmary in Tompkinsville, Staten Island. The three-story stone building has three conical turrets; it is seen from across a lawn, with a low stone wall and a street in the foreground. Two horse-drawn carriages stand at the entrance. Inscription "E.A.A" in lower left corner. The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscription: "A. / 40 / No. 4 / The Smith Infirmary / Clear day. / 60 ft / 6 PM / D. / Thursday June 5th 1890".
(Keywords: New York)
Film Size 4 x 5
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History The Samuel R. Smith Infirmary opened in 1861 as Staten Island's first public hospital. By the 1890s, the facility was housed in a large masonry structure located in New Brighton. (The neighborhood may also be identified as Tompkinsville; informal neighborhood designations varied over time.)
Earliest Date 1890
Latest Date 1890
Subjects Hospitals
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 50.015.5888
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, August 2016.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.