Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Arthur Kill Road and Richmond Hill Road]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Cornell, J. B.
Date ca. 1890
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print (or possibly a copy print). View looking north up Richmond Hill Road, Staten Island, from a vantage point near its intersection with Arthur Kill Road and Richmond Road. The roads are unpaved, and cattle are grazing on the hill in the distance. Wood frame structures appear on both sides of the street, and the building in the left foreground has a sign on its corner which reads: "W.W. HOOPER / HORSESHOEING / & / BLACKSMITH". Inscription on reverse, origin unknown: " Arthur Kill Rd and Richmond Rd / Looking up Richmond Hill Rd. / Photo by J.B. Cornell / c 1890".
(Keywords: HRT, New York)
Print size 5 x 7
Acquisition From A. C. Fack
Ownership and History This picture shows a street scene at Richmond near the intersection of Arthur Kill, Richmond Hill, and Richmond Roads. The building that appears second from left in this image, to the right of the one with the blacksmith's sign, has been identified as the Washington Hotel (ca. 1840-ca. 1911). The building in the right foreground is the Second County Jail (ca. 1741-1895). The Church of St. Andrew (ca. 1713-present) does not appear in the photograph; it was in the distance just to the left (west) of this view.
Earliest Date 1885
Latest Date 1895
Subjects Streets
Neighborhoods
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 54.016.0001
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.