|Title||Richmond County Court House and Jail, Richmond, Staten Island, N.Y.|
|Studio or Publisher||Valentine & Sons' Publishing Co.|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Color postcard. Diagonal front and side view of the Third County Courthouse and the Richmond County Jail at Richmond, Staten Island. The jail building is the large brick structure that was constructed ca. 1904 to replace an earlier edifice. Several men stand in various places near the courthouse; ivy grows on the courthouse's columns. Printed inscription in upper right: "Richmond County Court House and Jail, / Richmond, Staten Island, N.Y." Number printed on image at lower left: "202,888 JV." Reverse side has a divided back, printed "SOUVENIR POST CARD" and "The Valentine & Sons' Publishing Co., Ltd., New York / Printed in Great Britain." The card has a Tompkinsville postmark with a stamped date of 1908. The card is addressed to "Mrs. A.E.K. Benham / care Miss Barnes / Short Hills / New Jersey", and a handwritten message, signed "Love from Kath. & Katie" (Kath may be Katherine Seaman). There is a cancelled one cent stamp upper right.
(Keywords: HRT, New York)
|Print size||3.5 x 5.375|
|Acquisition||Gift of the Estate of Katherine Seaman|
|Ownership and History||
The handwritten message suggests that this card was mailed by Katherine S. Seaman to her aunt, Emma H. (Seaman) Benham. Mrs. Benham's husband was Admiral Andrew E.K. Benham, who had died a few years earlier.
Katherine Seaman (likely the person who signed as "Kath") lived on Arthur Kill Road, not far from the place pictured on the postcard. It was among numerous items that she donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1945.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Benham, Admiral Andrew E.K.
Seaman, Katherine S.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|