|Title||[Warehouse interior, Foreign Trade Zone]|
|Object Name||Negative, Film|
|Photographer||Flamm, Herbert A.|
|Collection||Herbert A. Flamm Photograph Collection|
B&W print made from original negative. Interior of a large building filled with stacked cardboard boxes and wooden crates. A man in uniform stands among the boxes; he appears to be reading an item in his hands. The words "FOREIGN TRADE ZONE" can be seen stenciled on at least one of the boxes. Photo by Herbert Flamm.
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York City, Free Port)
|Film Size||8 x 10|
|Acquisition||Gift of Herbert A. Flamm|
|Ownership and History||
Photographer Herbert A. Flamm (1905-1980) was a lifelong Staten Island resident and an active community leader as well as a prolific commercial photographer. He was part-owner of Weitzman's Photo Shop in Stapleton.
Stapleton, Staten Island was the site of the first Foreign Trade Zone in the United States, also known as the Free Port. It was in operation from 1937 until 1942, when the Stapleton piers were taken over for government use, and then resumed after 1945 for some years after the war.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|