Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Borough Hall, laying of cornerstone]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date May 21, 1904
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on brown cardboard mount. View of the ceremony for the laying of the cornerstone for the new Borough Hall in St. George, Staten Island. A large rectangular stone inscribed with the date 1904 in Roman numerals is being lifted on a pulley inside a tall crane. A large crowd of men and women stand around the stone on all sides. At left, a man stands on a platform decorated with bunting, addressing the crowd. Numerous American flags are flying. Buildings are visible in the distance.
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
Print size 7.5 x 9.5
Acquisition Gift of Marie and William Peteroy, Jr.
Ownership and History In 1898, Staten Island became one of the five boroughs of New York City, and government functions gradually shifted from Richmond, which had long served as the county seat, to St. George in the northern part of Staten Island.
The ceremony seen in this photograph, marking the construction of a new Borough Hall, was reported in the New York Times on May 22, 1904: "Staten Island formally acknowledged, declared, and gloried yesterday afternoon that she was an integral part of the Greater New York on the occasion of the laying of the cornerstone of the Richmond Borough Hall at St. George. The ceremonies attendant on the laying of the cornerstone were elaborate. Mayor McClellan, Senator Depew, the orator of the day, and Borough President Cromwell spoke, while the acknowledged Staten Island poet, William Winter, delivered his own verses appropriate to the occasion..."
Earliest Date 1904
Latest Date 1904
Subjects Celebrations
Government facilities
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 79.021.0001
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.