|Title||[Protection Engine Co. No. 7]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. Group portrait of firemen in uniform; they are standing and seated in 3 rows in front of a brick firehouse with large double doors that are open. A plaque above the doors has the number "7" (the rest of the plaque is too faded to read). The firemen all wear fire helmets with "7" on the frontpiece; several wear parade belts with the inscription "PROTECTION". Two of the standing firemen hold speaking trumpets under their arms; the man holding the trumpet at left wears a belt with the inscription "FOREMAN". Part of a steam fire pumper is visible among the men; a Windsor chair sits on top of the pumper. One woman stands among the group (at left). Printed inscription at bottom of photo: "Geo. Bear, Photo."
(Keywords: Edgewater Fire Department, Occupational Clothing)
|Print size||7.375 x 9.250|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
Protection Engine Co. No. 7, a volunteer company, was organized in 1858, and their firehouse was located at 68 Broad Street in Stapleton, Staten Island. The company was disbanded in 1905, when New York City's municipal fire department replaced most of Staten Island's volunteer companies.
Photographer George Bear (1856-1945) opened his studio on Beach Street in Stapleton, Staten Island, around 1881. He had apprenticed as a photographer in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. in the 1870s. Bear's clients were drawn primarily from the German-American community of Stapleton and frequently included factory workers, laborers, and tradesmen.
Fire engines & equipment
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|