|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Sperr, Percy Loomis|
|Date||December 20, 1936|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W print (possibly original, or possibly a later print made from the original negative). View of clapboard buildings on the west side of Arthur Kill Road in Richmond, Staten Island, as seen from Center Street. The building at far right is the former Second County Courthouse. It has a one-story extension with a sign "FAIRWAY / CLUB," and a car is parked on the street in front of the building. To its left is a 2 1/2-story building, and behind that are two small buildings that appear somewhat decrepit; a clothesline with laundry hangs alongside one building. Inscription on reverse: ""Fairway Inn & area next to Voorlezer's House / NE corner Arthur Kill Rd. & Center St. / Photographed by Percy Sperr / 12/20/36 / Accession No. 3638 Neg # R-139 / Sperr # SI. 3492".
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||8 x 10|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
This portion of Arthur Kill Road now runs through Historic Richmond Town, but none of these buildings remain.
The building at right, with the sign "Fairway Club," was built in 1794 (with later alterations and additions) as the Second County Courthouse for Richmond County (Staten Island). In the 1860s-1890s it was a private residence, after which it had several owners and served as a tavern, restaurant, and hotel. It was located on the west side of Arthur Kill Road between Center Street and Richmond Road. The building was destroyed by fire in 1944.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|