|Title||Four mules & Wabun|
|Object Name||Negative, Glass-plate|
|Photographer||Austen, E. Alice|
|Date||October 18, 1892|
|Collection||Alice Austen Photograph Collection|
|Description||Original glass plate negative. View of the yacht Wabun in the Delaware and Raritan Canal in New Jersey, as seen from the deck of the boat. On the path at right are four mules and a man standing on the shore; he has his hand out as if guiding the boat. A man, seen in profile, sits on the deck of the boat; he appears to be the man identified as "Butterball" in other photos (research has identified him as Thomas Quincy Browne Jr.), and behind him two men (seen from the back) stand on the bow using a pole to guide the boat. Inscription "E.A.A" in lower right corner. The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscription: "Stanley / 35 / No. 441 / Four mules & Wabun / Cloudy / 60 ft / W.L. Inst quick / 12.30 P.M / Tuesday Oct 18th 1892 / Canal Trip".|
|Film Size||4 x 5|
|Ownership and History||
In October 1892, Alice Austen took a trip on the yacht "Wabun" with her aunt, Nellie (Munroe) Austen; Nellie's brother, Ralph Munroe; and Thomas Quincy Browne Jr. The group departed from New Brunswick, New Jersey, and Alice and Nellie sailed as far as Annapolis, Maryland. Their journey took them through the Delaware and Raritan Canal, the Delaware River, the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, and the Chesapeake Bay. After Alice and Nellie departed the trip in Annapolis, Ralph Munroe and Thomas Quincy Browne Jr. continued on to Biscayne Bay, Florida.
Ralph Munroe was a noted yacht designer; the "Wabun," launched in 1892, was one of the more than 40 sailing vessels he designed. His autobiography, "The Commodore's Story," was published in 1930.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Browne, Thomas Quincy Jr.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, February 2016.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|