|Title||[Enterprise Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. View of 16 firemen in uniform, posed on and around a horse-drawn ladder wagon. They are on an unpaved street in front of a two-story clapboard building with a sign over the door: "1 ENTERPRISE 1". The men all wear helmets and parade belts with their uniforms. A dog sits on the ground next to one of the men. At the rear of the wagon are a young boy and two men wearing suits. A brick building is at right, and between the two buildings the Rubsam & Horrmann Brewery clock tower is visible, with sign "[R]UB[SA]M & HORRMANN / [A]TLANTIC / B[R]EWERY" (part of the sign is obscured by a utility pole). The two firemen at the front on the wagon each hold a speaking trumpet in their right hand. Handwritten inscription in script at bottom of mount: "Compliments J.E. McCullough".
(Keywords: New York, Edgewater Fire Department, Hook and Ladder, Occupational Clothing)
|Print size||7.250 x 9.125|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
Enterprise Hook & Ladder Company 1, the first fire company in the town of Stapleton, Staten Island, was organized in 1856. This photo shows their second firehouse, located at the junction of Canal Street and Water Street.
Photographer George Bear (1856-1945) opened his studio on Beach Street in Stapleton, Staten Island, around 1881. He had apprenticed as a photographer in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. in the 1870s. Bear's clients were drawn primarily from the German-American community of Stapleton and frequently included factory workers, laborers, and tradesmen.
Fire engines & equipment
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, November 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|