|Title||[Pecoraro's barber shop]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. Group portrait, mostly men (a few women and children are at left); the men are mostly standing, with seven men seated in chairs in the front. The men seated in front each hold a musical instrument, including drums, tubas, horns, trumpets, and a clarinet; two of the men who are standing also hold clarinets. The group is posed in front of a clapboard building with large windows on the first floor and the number "87" over a doorway; the seated men are on the sidewalk, and the standing men are on a wooden walkway behind a wooden railing. In the center foreground is a barber pole, with part of a sign visible on each side: "[---]RARO / [----] IAN / SHOP" on the left side and "G. PE [---] / IT [---] / BARB[---]". Photographer's stamped inscription on reverse of mount: "Fotografia Italiana, / AVALLONE & SANTAMARIA, / 71 Mulberry Street, New York, N.Y." Stamped name on reverse: "DANIEL SANTORO". Handwritten inscription on reverse: "In front of / Pecoraro's / 87 St. Mary's Ave. / Rosebank / c. 1910"
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century, Italian, Barber, Band, Immigration)
|Print size||6 x 8.250|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
Joseph (Giuseppe) Pecoraro (1846-1915) was born in Italy and immigrated to the United States in the 1870s or 1880s. His barber shop was located on St. Mary's Avenue in the Rosebank neighborhood of Staten Island.
Census records show that Joseph and his wife Columbia were the parents of six sons, all named Joseph, and daughters Mary, Anita, and Ida.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, November 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|