|Title||J. Bredt & self Messrs Blanchard & Wildrick|
|Object Name||Negative, Glass-plate|
|Photographer||Austen, E. Alice|
|Collection||Alice Austen Photograph Collection|
Original glass plate negative. Posed group in the middle parlor of Clear Comfort, the Austen family home in Rosebank, Staten Island. Alice Austen (right) and Julia Bredt (center) sit on a sofa with two men. The man at left holds a trumpet and wears a large bow around his neck; the other three people hold banjos. Alice and Julia both have their eyes closed. A spinning wheel is partially visible at far left. The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscription: "No. 497 / J. Bredt & self Messrs Blanchard / & Wildrick / Flash group."
(Keywords: New York, Self Portrait, Posed Group)
|Film Size||4 x 5|
|Ownership and History||
"Messrs. Blanchard and Wildrick," as they are identified in the inscription, are Sawyer Blanchard and Charles White Wildrick, both of whom lived at the Fort Wadsworth military post which was located near the Austen family home on Staten Island.
Sawyer Blanchard (seated at right) was a graduate of West Point who was stationed at Fort Wadsworth, Staten Island, from 1892 to 1894. Due to poor health, he transferred to a military post in Arizona, but passed away at a young age in 1897. Charles White Wildrick (seated at left) was the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Abram C. Wildrick, commander of Fort Wadsworth from 1892 to 1894. Charles lived at Fort Wadsworth during that time.
Charles White Wildrick appears frequently in the newspapers of the early 1900s. Among his claims to fame were his 6-month sentence in a penitentiary for passing a bad check, his romance with a wealthy woman from Chicago, and his contentious divorce from a woman who was accused of murder.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Wildrick, Charles White
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2017.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|