Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [New Brighton]
Object Name Stereoview
Photographer Hoyer, H.
Date ca. 1859
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on yellow cardboard mount; half of a stereoview. View looking out over New Brighton, Staten Island, seen from an elevated vantage point. Printed inscription along left edge of mount: "American Views." Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "New Brighton Village / looking west / H. Hoyer, 1859". Stamped inscription on reverse: "WM. T. DAVIS / 146 STUYVESANT PLACE / STATEN IS., N.Y."
(Keywords: New York)
Print size 3.125 x 2.875
Acquisition Gift of William T. Davis
Ownership and History Little is known about H. Hoyer, the earliest documented commercial photographer on Staten Island. His business was based in a studio in the former Planters Hotel in Stapleton. He advertised his photography in an 1859 Staten Island newspaper, stating that in addition to his "large collection of stereoscopic pictures of the most prominent Views of Staten Island," he was "prepared to take stereoscopic views of private residences, gardens, groups, etc., at short notice, and on reasonable terms."

This stereoview was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1936 by William T. Davis, who served as the Society's first president from 1922 to 1936. Before donating his collection of H. Hoyer stereoviews, he cut them in half so that he could donate one part to the Historical Society and the other part to the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences (now Staten Island Museum).
Earliest Date 1858
Latest Date 1860
Subjects Cities & towns
Landscape photographs
Neighborhoods
Stereographs
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 36.016.0008
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2015.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.