Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title "Der kleine Rath" des "Staten Island Quartett Club!"
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Bear, George
Date 1896-1897
Description Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. A group of 13 men, some seated and some standing, are behind a table decorated with bunting. Most of the men hold glasses or bottles; all are wearing suits and bowties, with large 5-point stars on ribbons around their necks, and jester style hats. The decorative wall behind them (with columns and 3 round framed images of male caricatures) looks like a photographer's studio prop rather than a real wall. Hand printed inscription on the mount above and below the photo: " 'Der kleine Rath' / des / 'Staten Island Quartett Club!' / Carnevals Saison 1896-1897. " Handwritten inscription beneath photo: "G. Bear Photo."
(Keywords: New York)
Print size 8.250 x 13
Ownership and History The Staten Island Quartett Club was established in 1861 by members of Staten Island's German community, which was concentrated in the Stapleton area. They held numerous social events, including musical performances and an annual Masquerade Ball. The Quartett Club enjoyed a long history, and celebrated both a fiftieth and a seventy-fifth anniversary. It dissolved in 1954, just 7 years shy of its one hundredth anniversary.

The hats worn by the men in this photograph are similar to several Quartett Club hats in the Staten Island Historical Society's collection. See record C02.0712 for an example of a Quartett Club costume hat.
Exhibit Label Heading
Exhibit Label Text
Exhibit Label Text
Exhibit Label Text
Earliest Date 1896
Latest Date 1897
Subjects Fraternal organizations
Organizations
Celebrations
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Bear, George
Catalog Number X98.1202
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, July 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.