|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Studio or Publisher||Alexander & Tolman|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of the Washington Hotel in Richmond, Staten Island, with an unpaved street in foreground. Three men and four women stand on or near the porch of the structure, and a dog is seated on a chair. The section of the building which appears at left has a flat roof; the section at right has a peaked roof with two chimneys. Both sections have ground-floor porches along the street which support second-floor balconies. Signs mounted on the balcony at left: "M. CURRY. / WASHINGTON HOTEL." and "[MONROE] ECKSTEIN'S / LAGER BEER." The raised stone wall of a small bridge is seen to the left of the hotel, and the steeple of Saint Andrew's Church is in the background. Printed inscription on reverse of mount: "ALEXANDER & TOLMAN, / 1780-10TH AVE., COR. 102ND ST., N.Y."
(Keywords: Arthur Kill Road, Richmond Hill Road, HRT, New York)
|Print size||7.250 x 9.750|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mary and Julia Curry|
|Ownership and History||
The Washington Hotel was located on Arthur Kill Road just north of Richmond Road, in an area later occupied by the cemetery of St. Andrew's Church. The hotel's proprietor was Michael Curry, who was born in Ireland ca. 1823. Handwritten inscriptions identify the people in the photograph as (from left to right): Mr. Curry; son; a traveling salesman; and the Curry girls. The building was demolished ca. 1909.
The stone bridge, known as the Town Bridge, was built in 1845 and still stands today. It is the only remaining 19th-century stone arch bridge on Staten Island.
This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1938 by Michael Curry's daughters Mary and Julia.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|