|Title||The Wm Munroe library & crossroads|
|Object Name||Negative, Glass-plate|
|Photographer||Austen, E. Alice|
|Date||June 13, 1892|
|Collection||Alice Austen Photograph Collection|
Original glass plate negative. View of the intersection of two tree-lined unpaved streets in Concord, Massachusetts. In the center of the image is the gate and entrance to a brick building which is partially visible through trees in bloom. There is a sign on a pillar in the foreground. Inscription on the left side of the sign: "BOTH / STREETS / TO / F.R.R. / STATION;" inscription on the right side of the sign: "MAYNARD 6M / ACTON 5M / GROTON 17M." The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscription: "Seed / 26 / 495 / The Wm Munroe library & crossroads / Fine, clear day / P.L. Stop 32 / 3 secs 11 a.m / Monday June 13th 1892 / Concord."
|Ownership and History||
The building in this photograph is the Concord Free Public Library, built in 1873 at the intersection of Main Street and Sudbury Road. William Munroe was the library's founder and provided the funds for its construction.
Photographer Alice Austen was connected to the Munroe family through her aunt, Nellie (Munroe) Austen.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, February 2017.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|