|Title||[Richmond Wagon Works]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Studio or Publisher||Empire Photo View Co.|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of a large 3-story brick building with a large open door and two signs: "CARRIAGE & WAGON PAINTING." and "JOHN F. SCHWIEBERT. / RICHMOND WAGON WORKS." Six men stand in front of the building; all wear overalls, and three wear hats. At left is a 2-story clapboard building. At right is a low brick or stone wall topped with a wooden fence; a frame structure that appears to be partly covered in vines stands behind the fence; there is a utility pole in front of the fence. Stamped inscription on reverse of mount: "EMPIRE PHOTO VIEW CO., / 757 THIRD AVE., COR. 47TH ST., / NEW YORK."
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||6.125 x 7.625|
|Ownership and History||
This carriage and wagon manufactory was built around 1858 by Isaac Marsh. The building stood on Richmond Road between Arthur Kill Road and St. Patrick's Place in Richmond, Staten Island. The ground floor held a blacksmith and a wood shop; the repository (showroom) was on the second floor, and painting was done on the top floor. Since the building was situated on a slope, both the first and second stories had street-level access.
After Marsh died in 1896, the business was taken over by John F. Schwiebert, a factory foreman. By the early 1900s Schwiebert advertised that he provided both carriage and auto repair, and by 1917 they were manufacturing truck chassis. The firm was out of business by 1940, and the brick factory building was condemned and demolished in 1945.
Carriages & coaches
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Schwiebert, John F., Sr.
Schwiebert, John F., Jr.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|