Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Billiou-Stillwell-Perine house]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1918-1923
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print. Partial front view of the Billiou-Stillwell-Perine House, Staten Island. The house is partially hidden by shrubbery, a row of hedges, and two large trees in bloom. A man wearing a hat and a light colored jacket stands in the center of the image. A sign "TEA ROOM" is visible at the doorway at left.
(Keywords: Perine House, Dongan Hills, New York, HRT)
Print size 5 x 7
Acquisition Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society
Ownership and History Built ca. 1662, the Perine House is the oldest building on Staten Island. It stands at 1476 Richmond Road in Dongan Hills and is owned by the Staten Island Historical Society, Historic Richmond Town.

This photo was likely taken at the time that the Box Tree Tea Room was in operation at the Perine House, in the late 1910s and early 1920s.


Earliest Date 1917
Latest Date 1924
Subjects Houses
Restaurants
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Kolff, Cornelius
Catalog Number PH01.0126
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.