|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Isaac Almstaedt Photograph Collection|
Original B&W photo on gray cardboard mount. View of the interior of what appears to be a large porch (perhaps a boathouse), with a wooden floor, wooden railing, and ceiling with cross beams. A lake and trees are visible beyond the railing. A man sits in a chair next to a table, with four empty Windsor chairs around the table; he has his feet propped up on the railing. A dog is sleeping on the floor behind him. Part of another table and chair are visible at far right. Handwritten inscription in pen below the photo (probably the photographer's handwriting): "No 274 / Silver Lake." The mount has tape binding along one edge, suggesting it may have been part of an album.
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||4 x 6.625|
|Exhibit Label Heading||
|Exhibit Label Text||This image shows Almstaedt's interest in the effects of light and framing of a view. The man and dog, while serving as focal points, are silhouetted against the background, keeping the subject general and adding to the quiet mystery of the scene.|
|Exhibit Label Text||In the 1870s Silver Lake and approximately 20 surrounding acres were developed as a summer resort. An advertisement in the Richmond County Gazette, October 5, 1881 describes "Franzreb's Silver Lake Park" as "the most desirable place for picnics on the Island," offering fine boating and fishing and featuring a hotel and restaurant serving "first-class wines, lager beer, liquors and cigars." The popular resort closed in 1912 to make way for construction of the present New York City reservoir, completed in 1917.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.