|Title||[Active Hose firehouse]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on gray cardboard mount. Front view of a two-story firehouse with a horse-drawn hose cart in front. Large sign on the front of the firehouse above the doors: "7 ACTIVE HOSE CO. 7". Sign at top of building: "1894". Side view of the hose cart, with a fireman in uniform seated in front. Inscriptions on the hose cart: "ACTIVE HOSE. 7." on the side and "N.S.F.D." on the front. Cart has a ladder on top and holds a large firehose; lanterns are mounted at each corner. Printed inscription on reverse of mount: "H.A. BILES, PHOTOS, / Cor. Jewett Ave., & Richmond Terrace, / PORT RICH[MOND, S.I.]".
(Keywords: NSFD, New York)
|Print size||7 x 5|
|Acquisition||Gift of the Veteran Firemen's Association of the North Shore Fire Department|
|Ownership and History||
Active Hose Co. No. 7 of the North Shore Fire Department was located at 16 Bush Street (near Richmond Terrace) in Mariners Harbor, Staten Island. The company was organized in 1894 and disbanded in 1905. The building still stands as of 2015.
An article titled "Active's New Wagon Arrives," which was published in the Richmond County Advance on February 23, 1895, describes a hose wagon that may be the vehicle seen in this photograph: "...The apparatus is of the most modern style, equipped completely, and has an extension-ladder in a rack above the body of the wagon. It is painted white, with red running gear, and the metal work is of brass and nickel-plated. It is a handsome and serviceable machine and a valuable addition to the Department."
Photographer Harry A. Biles worked at 10 Richmond Terrace in Port Richmond, Staten Island, according to a 1906 directory listing.
Fire engines & equipment
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, September 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|