|Title||Naval launch towing Wabun to anchor|
|Object Name||Negative, Glass-plate|
|Photographer||Austen, E. Alice|
|Date||October 25, 1892|
|Collection||Alice Austen Photograph Collection|
Original glass plate negative. A small steam powered boat is tied to the yacht Wabun, as seen from the bow of the Wabun. Two men are seated in the steamboat. Five people are on the Wabun: Nellie Austen (seated at left), Ralph Munroe (seated next to Nellie), Thomas Quincy Browne Jr. (standing directly behind Ralph Munroe), and an unidentified man and boy. Inscription "E.A.A" in the lower right corner. The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscription: "479 / Stanley / 35 / Naval launch towing Wabun / to anchor / Cloudy / W.L. / 60 ft 1.10 P.M / Inst quick / Tuesday Oct 25th / 1892 / Canal Trip."
|Film Size||4 x 5|
|Ownership and History||
In October 1892, Alice Austen took a trip on the yacht "Wabun" with her aunt, Nellie (Munroe) Austen; Nellie's brother, Ralph Munroe; and Thomas Quincy Browne Jr. The group departed from New Brunswick, New Jersey, and Alice and Nellie sailed as far as Annapolis, Maryland. Their journey took them through the Delaware and Raritan Canal, the Delaware River, the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, and the Chesapeake Bay. After Alice and Nellie departed the trip in Annapolis, Ralph Munroe and Thomas Quincy Browne Jr. continued on to Biscayne Bay, Florida.
Ralph Munroe was a noted yacht designer; the "Wabun," launched in 1892, was one of the more than 40 sailing vessels he designed. His autobiography, "The Commodore's Story," was published in 1930.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Austen, Nellie (Munroe)
Browne, Thomas Quincy Jr.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2017.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|