|Title||[Borough Hall, laying of cornerstone]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Date||May 21, 1904|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. View of ceremony for the laying of the cornerstone for Borough Hall in St. George, Staten Island. A large crowd of men and women stand on and around a wooden platform decorated with American flag bunting. The platform is set within the building foundation under construction. Numerous American flags are flying. Buildings are visible in the distance.
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||7.750 x 9.5|
|Acquisition||Gift of Marie and William Peteroy, Jr.|
|Ownership and History||
In 1898, Staten Island became one of the five boroughs of New York City, and government functions gradually shifted from Richmond, which had long served as the county seat, to St. George in the northern part of Staten Island.
The ceremony seen in this photograph, marking the construction of a new Borough Hall, was reported in the New York Times on May 22, 1904: "Staten Island formally acknowledged, declared, and gloried yesterday afternoon that she was an integral part of the Greater New York on the occasion of the laying of the cornerstone of the Richmond Borough Hall at St. George. The ceremonies attendant on the laying of the cornerstone were elaborate. Mayor McClellan, Senator Depew, the orator of the day, and Borough President Cromwell spoke, while the acknowledged Staten Island poet, William Winter, delivered his own verses appropriate to the occasion..."
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|