|Title||[Tompkins Department Store]|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W postcard. Diagonal view of two commercial buildings. The building at right has two signs: "1885 / TOMPKINS" at the roofline and "CLOTHING DEPARTMENT" above the first floor. The building at left has a sign over the entrance: "DEPARTMENT STORE". A car is parked in front of the building at left. Printed inscription in lower right corner: "PUBL. BY / TOMPKINS DEP'T. STORE / WEST NEW BRIGHTON". On the reverse, the postcard is postmarked Linoleumville, 1911, and has a handwritten message: "Dear Mrs. Leonard / We will be down / to morrow after / noon as soon as / we can, as we do / not expect any one / down / Mrs Lou." The postcard is addressed to Mrs. C. Leonard, #337 Herberton Ave / Port Richmond, Staten Island.
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||3.5 x 5.5|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mr. and Mrs. William F. Leonard in memory of Mrs. Cornelius Leonard|
|Ownership and History||
The Tompkins Store was established on Richmond Terrace in West New Brighton in 1877 by Frank W. Tompkins, who was age 17 at the time. The store was listed in the Staten Island directory of 1882 as "Frank W. Tompkins, men's, youth's, and children's clothing and gentlemen's furnishing goods of latest design and styles. No old stock."
In 1896 Mr. Tompkins opened the two-story Tompkins Department Store. He retired in 1921, but he sons continued the business. In 1925 they moved the store to a new location on Castleton Avenue.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Leonard, Mary (Wood)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, August 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|