Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Philosophers' Retreat]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1910-1917
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print. View of people standing outside a cabin in winter, with a campfire in the foreground. There are about ten men and two women visible. Long wooden boards are set on the snow-covered ground, and a portion of the board visible at lower right appears to be painted with the name "[CORNE]LIUS G. KOL[FF]".
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York City)
Print size 6.875 x 9.75
Ownership and History This cabin, known as the Philosophers' Retreat, was owned by Cornelius G. Kolff and stood near Kolff's residence on Emerson Hill, Staten Island. It was built in 1910, inspired by the memory of nineteenth-century visitors to the area including Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau. It was used for gatherings of authors, intellectuals, and business people. The cabin was destroyed by fire in 1917.
Earliest Date 1910
Latest Date 1917
Subjects Philosophers
Log cabins
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Kolff, Cornelius
Catalog Number 39.015.0001
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2015.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.