|Title||[Ambulance outside S.R. Smith Infirmary]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. View of an ambulance parked outside the entrance to the S.R. Smith Infirmary, a brick building with steps leading up to a covered entryway. The ambulance is marked on its side, "S.R. SMITH, INFIRMARY. / AMBULANCE. / BOROUGH / OF / RICHMOND"; a driver is seated behind the wheel and a man dressed in white or light-colored clothing stands near the rear of the vehicle.
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York City)
|Print size||7.750 x 9.5|
|Ownership and History||
Samuel R. Smith Infirmary opened in 1861 as Staten Island's first public hospital. By the 1890s, the facility was housed in a large masonry structure located in New Brighton. (The neighborhood may also be identified as Tompkinsville; informal neighborhood designations varied over time.)
The man driving the ambulance is identified as Clarence F. Vreeland (1886-1964), who worked as a chauffer.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Vreeland, Clarence Frederick
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|