|Title||[William H. Depuy butcher shop]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on black cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of a two-story building with a cornice. The building is decorated with stars and stripes bunting. A closed awning over a large storefront window has inscription "MEAT MARKET." A door is set diagonally on the corner of the building, with a triangular step in front. Four men stand on the sidewalk in front of the shop; a small child stands on the step in front of the door; two men or boys are in a horse-drawn cart harnessed to a pony. A utility pole with a streetlight is on the corner. Stamped inscription on reverse of mount: "H. A. BILES PHOTOS, / Cor. Jewett Ave. & Richmond Terrace, / PORT RICHMOND, S. I." Handwritten inscription on reverse of mount: "William H. DePuy / Butcher shop. / Jewett Ave. & Bennett St. / Port Richmond."
(Keywords: Jewett Avenue, Bennett Street, New York)
|Print size||8.125 x 6.250|
|Ownership and History||
William Henry Depuy (1842-1931) operated a butcher shop in Port Richmond, Staten Island.
His store was the subject of an article in the Richmond County Advance on December 3, 1904: "Who Took Them? Nowhere on the North Shore was there displayed a more tempting array of turkeys for the Thanksgiving feasters than at Depuy's butcher-shop, Jewett avenue, Port Richmond. Many of the 28-cents-a-pound variety were kept for the householders until Thursday morning, and when Mr. Depuy and his assistant went to the shop on that day, they were surprised to find that some person or persons had been there ahead of them, and several of the choicest birds were missing. No clue to the thieves."
Stores & shops
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
DePuy, William Henry
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|