|Title||Stapleton Baseball Club|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
|Description||Original B&W print on gray cardboard mount. Group portrait of a baseball team, with 9 players in uniform; one man (possibly the manager) wears a different uniform, and one man wears a suit. They are in two rows, with the front row seated in chairs and the back row standing. They are in front of a low wall with wire fencing at top, and male and female spectators are behind the fence. The players' uniforms all have a large "S" and a small "A" on their chest, and all wear caps with the letter "S" on front. The seated players all have mitts on their left hand, and a pile of bats, mitts, and masks is on the ground in front of them. Photo is signed "BEAR" lower left, and there is a handwritten inscription in ink lower right: "STAPLETON BASEBALL CLUB / 1895"; the "1895" has been scratched out and someone has written "1905" along the bottom edge. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "1905, not 1895 / H.G.S." Written on reverse in ink, different handwriting: "SEATED / L-to-R / STANDING / L-to-R" with a list of numbers below each, but no names have been filled in.|
|Print size||7.750 x 9.5|
|Acquisition||Gift of George Bear|
|Ownership and History||
The Stapleton Baseball Club was one of the many athletic clubs on Staten Island in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The first baseball club, formed in 1872, served double duty as the Staten Island Cricket and Baseball Club. Sports have played a major role in Staten Island culture since the days of spontaneous horse races in the 1700s.
Photographer George Bear (1856-1945) opened his studio on Beach Street in Stapleton, Staten Island, around 1881. He had apprenticed as a photographer in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. in the 1870s. Bear's clients were drawn primarily from the German-American community of Stapleton and frequently included factory workers, laborers, and tradesmen.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.