|Title||[Richmond Motor Sales Co.]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on white cardboard mount. Exterior view of a storefront on the first floor of a brick building; the store has glass doors and large windows, and is draped with American flag bunting. Calvert Mills stands leaning against the building in front of the door; he is wearing a suit and tie, and he looks directly toward the camera. A sign hangs above the door: "FLINT / RICHMOND MOTOR / SALES CO., INC. ". Two "FLINT" signs are visible in the windows. A poster in each window advertises the " '980 FLINT FORTY ". A sign that is partially visible in one window advertises a concert with a date of 1924.
(Keywords: Car, Automobile, Dealership, New York)
|Print size||6 x 8.125|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mrs. Calvert Mills|
|Ownership and History||
The man standing in the doorway is Calvert Mills, who established the Richmond Motor Sales Company at age 22. The business address was listed in the 1924 Staten Island directory as 1240 Castleton Avenue, Port Richmond. Mr. Mills sold the business the following year.
Automobiles were in use on Staten Island as early as 1898, although they were still a rarity in those days. By the time this photo was taken in 1924, the Staten Island telephone directory listed 53 businesses selling and servicing automobiles. The "Flint Six" automobile seen advertised in the store window was manufactured by the Flint Motor Company, which was only in business from 1922 to 1929.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.