|Title||[Conner family house]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Diagonal front and side view of the Conner family home on Center Street in Richmond, Staten Island. The attached building at left is the former general store. A small gabled entryway extends out at the front of the house; the siding on the house resembles brick. The front of the store appears to be blocked by a wooden barricade. A portion of the Bennett House can be seen beyond the large tree at left.
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||2.875 x 4.75|
|Ownership and History||
Built ca. 1837, the building now known as Historic Richmond Town's Stephens-Black house is located across the street from the Third County Courthouse. It was built for the Stephens family and was later owned by the Black family, both of whom operated a general store in the building adjoining the rear of the house. From 1926 to 1946, the house was the home of Willett and Bertha Conner and their 16 children.
The house became part of Historic Richmond Town in 1963, and was subsequently restored to show its original Greek Revival architectural style. The attached general store, which was mostly demolished in the 1940s, was restored and reconstructed by Historic Richmond Town in 1964.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Conner, Willett Leslie
Conner, Bertha (Manee)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|