|Title||[Crocheron House on its original site]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Diagonal front and side view of Historic Richmond Town's Crocheron House on its original site on Woodrow Road in Greenridge, Staten Island. It is a 1 1/2-half story wood frame building with a gambrel roof and a porch with columns. The house is seen from across an unpaved street; a large tree in bloom is in front of the house. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "Sept 1929 / Greenridge".
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||3.5 x 2.5|
|Ownership and History||
This house was built ca. 1819-1820 for Jacob Crocheron (1758-1827), a merchant with a successful grocery business in Manhattan. Originally from Staten Island, Crocheron moved to Manhattan in the 1780s. In 1818, Crocheron decided to return to Staten Island, so he and his wife Ann built this house and moved there in 1820, while still maintaining the business in Manhattan. Jacob Crocheron died in 1827, and the house passed to his wife and grandsons. It remained in the Crocheron family until it was sold in 1849. The house subsequently had 15 different owners until it was acquired by, and moved to, Historic Richmond Town in 1987.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|