|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Original B&W print on black cardboard mount. View of Jacob S. Toder standing in the doorway of the Toder Cafe (also called the Jersey Street Inn) at 127 Jersey Street in New Brighton, Staten Island. He wears a suit with a bowtie and a hat. The building is two stories, with large display windows on the first floor. There are several signs above the door: "127 / JERSEY STREET INN / RUBSAM & HORRMANN / EXTRA BEER / EXTRA LAGER BEER / OLD KENTUCKY WINE AND LIQUOR WAREHOUSE / RUBSAM & HORRMANN BREWING COMPANY'S LAGER BEER". Signs on the windows: "J.S. TODER / WINES & LIQUORS / J.S. TODER / CAFE". Bottles and jugs are displayed in the windows, along with signs advertising "SHERRY AND EGG".
(Keywords: New York City)
|Print size||8 x 6|
|Acquisition||Gift of Sheldon Toder|
|Ownership and History||
Jacob Toder (1892-1947) came to the United States from Austria. He worked at a saloon in Newark, New Jersey, and then came to Staten Island, opening his own saloon in 1906. Jacob received assistance from Staten Island's Rubsam & Horrmann Brewery in opening his saloon, and they may have supplied some of the equipment. The saloon also served free lunch and had pool tables available. For a time the family lived upstairs above the saloon, and later, when the business prospered, they moved to a home on nearby Crescent Avenue. Upon the start of Prohibition, Jacob closed the saloon. He tried selling wholesale candy and tobacco and other business ventures; the 1933 Staten Island directory lists him as a grocer. After Prohibition was repealed, he found a new partner, Tony Massarello, and opened a new bar on Bay Street in Stapleton, called Toder & Massarello, which did well during World War II. Jacob's last business was a saloon on Victory Boulevard near Cebra Avenue.
This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 2005 by Jacob's son, Sheldon Toder.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Toder, Jacob S.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|