|Title||[Boehm House on its original site]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W copy print. Diagonal front and side view of the Boehm House on its original site on Arthur Kill Road near Giffords Lane in Greenridge, Staten Island. It is a 1 1/2-story building with clapboard siding and a small front porch. Another building is visible behind the house, with a distant view of a marsh in the background. There are neighboring houses at right.
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||8 x 10|
|Ownership and History||
The Boehm House is typical of Staten Island farmhouses of the 18th and 19th centuries, and it shows Dutch influence in the older portion of the house. Based on its architectural fabric, the house is thought to have been constructed ca. 1750, but the original owner / occupant of the house is not known.
In 1855, Henry Martin Boehm (1819-1862) purchased the house. Boehm was a teacher and a Staten Island school commissioner. He and his wife Rizpah resided in the house and also used the house as a school. The house remained in the family for many years, passing to Rizpah after Henry died, and then to their daughter Mary (Boehm) Fuentes, who was also an educator.
The house was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1965.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Boehm, Henry Martin
Fuentes, Mary (Boehm)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|