|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on cream cardboard mount. Photograph of three trolleys and a group of workers at a trolley barn, identified as Jewett Avenue in Westerleigh. The car at left is clearly marked "PROHIBITION PARK / 11" on the front and "P.R. & P.P. EL..." on the side; the other 2 cars also appear to be marked "PROHIBITION PARK" on the front, though they are partially obscured by the men posing on and in front of the trolley cars. There are 17 men in total, some of whom are identified by inscriptions on the obverse and reverse of the photograph. They include Joe Donevan, John Boweman, Joe Dooley (motorman), Mike Flannery (motorman), W. Flannery, Wm. Lyons (motorman), Geo. Hoisem, J. H. Noon, and H. Vilas (Supt.). Posters attached to the wall of the barn read "GRAND ANNUAL / PIC NIC / WYANDOTTE H. & L. Co. No. 5 / ... / [???] 3, 1893..." A photocopy of a handwritten note is glued to the back of the matboard, indicating that "THIS BARN WAS SITUATED IN THE / MIDDLE OF WHAT IS NOW / SHAW PLACE. / -- A BRICK / GENERATING / STATION WAS / LOCATED NEAR THIS CAR BARN. / WHITE HATTED MEN ARE CONDUCTORS / ..."
(Keywords: New York, Streetcars, Cable Cars, Port Richmond and Prohibition Park Electric Railway Company)
|Print size||7.5 x 9.625|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
From the 1890s to the 1920s, Staten Island's transportation options included electric trolleys. The first of these, established in 1892, ran from Port Richmond's ferry landing to Prohibition Park (now Westerleigh), where picnics, lectures, and other non-alcoholic entertainment drew large crowds of temperance supporters.
Street railroad facilities
Street railroad employees
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|