|Title||View from Stapleton Heights|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Isaac Almstaedt Photograph Collection|
Original B&W photo on gray cardboard mount. View from an elevated vantage point, looking out over a town and the waterfront. The town has numerous buildings including houses and commercial buildings, and a large factory building in the center. The Rubsam & Horrmann Atlantic Brewery plant and clock tower are visible near the waterfront. Several sailing ships are in the water. Handwritten inscription in pen below the photo (probably the photographer's handwriting): "No 216 / View from Stapleton Heights." The mount has tape binding along one edge, suggesting it may have been part of an album.
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||4 x 6.5|
|Exhibit Label Heading||
View from Stapleton Heights
|Exhibit Label Text||The Rubsam & Horrmann brewery plant and its clock tower are seen at the center of this view, which seems to celebrate the bustling commercial nature of Staten Island's north shore and New York Bay in the distance.|
|Exhibit Label Text||
Stapleton was established in the 1830s by William J. Staples (for whom it was named) and Minthorne Tompkins (son of the U.S. Vice President who founded Tompkinsville). Land in the area had previously been owned by the Vanderbilt family. The new town was valued for its proximity to the harbor and for its spring water, which aided several German-American brewers in launching an important new American industry. In addition to manufacturing enterprises, Stapleton was also a center for shops, banking, and entertainment.
|Exhibit Label Text||Joseph Rubsam and August Horrmann established their Atlantic Brewery on Canal Street in 1870. Its clock tower was destroyed by fire in 1930, but was rebuilt and rededicated in 1936, underscoring its important place as a centerpiece and symbol of the Stapleton community. The R&H brewery was bought by Piels in 1953, closed in 1963, and demolished in 1976.|
Cities & towns
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.