|Title||[Guyon-Lake-Tysen House on its original site]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Sykes, C. A.|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W print, possibly original. Rear view of a house with a gambrel roof, as seen from across a field; there are two outbuildings at left. Several trees stand near the buildings; other houses can be seen in the distance at left. Stamped and handwritten inscriptions on reverse: "SUBJECT Tysen House / LOCATION Tysen Lane / PHOTOGRAPHED BY C. Sykes / DATE Dec 193[6, written over 7]."
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||5 x 7|
|Ownership and History||
This photograph shows Historic Richmond Town's Guyon-Lake-Tysen House in its original location on Tysens Lane in Oakwood, Staten Island.
Built ca. 1740, with later additions, the Guyon-Lake-Tysen House is unusually large by 18th-century Staten Island standards and represents a substantial, prosperous way of life. It was constructed as a farmhouse and was used as such for most of its history.
The house was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1962.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|