|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on brown cardboard mount. Group portrait of men, women, and children in front of a large wood frame building. The front rows are seated on chairs or on the ground; the back rows are standing; a group at right is standing. In the center of the group is a camera on a tripod. Several girls are visible in the second-story windows of the building. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "William H. [sic; should be William M.] & George Haughwout Boat Building business / foot of South Avenue / Mariners Harbor."
(Keywords: Maritime, Shipbuilding, Boatyard, New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||6 x 8.125|
|Ownership and History||
William M. Haughwout's boat building business was located at the foot of South Avenue, near the Kill van Kull, in Mariners Harbor, Staten Island. When he became ill in the early 1900s, his son George W. Haughwout took over management of the company. In 1911, they advertised their business as the "Oldest yacht and boat builder on Staten Island…Headquarters for Mariners Harbor Yacht Club, with 150 members, which occupy the upper portion of the main building, and finds ample and convenient storage for yachts. Mr. Haughwout makes a specialty of yacht building, repairing and storage."
|Subjects||Boat & ship companies|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Haughwout, George W.
Haughwout, William Meyers
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, July 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|