Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title New Dorp Railroad Station
Object Name Postcard
Studio or Publisher Grimshaw, William J. [publisher]
Date ca. 1907-1925
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W postcard. Diagonal front and side view of the New Dorp Railroad Station on its original site. The train platform is at left, with ramps leading to the platform. At right, a man and a child lean on the railing of the ramp. Five advertising signs are mounted on the railings; the sign at left has inscription: "Campbell's / SOUPS". Printed inscription at the top of the image: "New Dorp Railroad Station. / Staten Island, N.Y." Printed inscription at bottom left: "PUBL. BY / W.J. GRIMSHAW". The postcard has a divided back (introduced in 1907). Printed on reverse: "POST CARD / Postcards of Quality.-- The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. / THIS SPACE FOR MESSAGE / THIS SPACE FOR ADDRESS".
(Keywords: HRT, SIRT, Staten Island Rapid Transit, New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
Print size 3.5 x 5.5
Acquisition Gift of the Georgia Historical Society
Ownership and History This railroad station, which once served the neighborhood of New Dorp, Staten Island, originally stood near Rose Avenue and 6th Street (now New Dorp Plaza). It was built in 1889 by New York real estate developers Hughes and Ross and operated by the Staten Island Rapid Transit Railroad Company. It is believed to have been designed by New York City architect Henry Knapp, based on style similarities to Knapp-designed residences in New Dorp.

The building was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1965.
Earliest Date 1907
Latest Date 1925
Subjects Railroad stations
Railroads
Postcards
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 93.009.0005
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.