|Title||[Christopher House, Willowbrook]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Tredwell, George Henry|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W print made from original negative. Front view of the Christopher House on its original site at 819 Willowbrook Road in Willowbrook, Staten Island. The house is a one and one-half story stone building with two dormers, a central chimney, and a shallow porch with square columns; three chairs are visible on the porch. The house is seen from across a lawn. Photographed by George Henry Tredwell.
|Print size||7 x 5|
|Ownership and History||
The Christopher House is a simple vernacular farmhouse with Dutch influences. It was constructed by the Christopher family, who built the house in two sections, the first ca. 1720 and the second ca. 1730. The house's primary claim to fame is that it was reputedly the meeting place for the local Committee of Safety during the American Revolution.
By 1852 the house was owned by Thomas Standring, an immigrant from England who enlarged the house and lived there with his wife and 5 children. Standring built a water-powered mill, producing steel combs for use in the wool and cotton industries. His son Samuel continued the business after Thomas' death in the 1890s. The house was later inherited by Mrs. Adelaide Egan, and she and her husband used it as a summer residence for many years. Mrs. Egan died in 1962, and in 1969 her husband deeded the house to the Staten Island Historical Society.
The house was disassembled and relocated to Historic Richmond Town, where it was reconstructed in the 1970s. The house is furnished with reproduction furniture and household items that portray Staten Island life in colonial and Revolutionary War times.
Photographer George Henry Tredwell (1856-1926) lived in Port Richmond, Staten Island. He worked as an engraver, and was associated with the American Bank Note Company. His interest in local history led him to spend much time photographing historic homes on the Island. In 1899 he published a book, "Two Hundred Years on Staten Island," which featured a collection of his photos.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|